Refund Policy for International Students
- Each prospective and continuing international student (student) acknowledges and agrees to the terms and conditions of the international student refund policy on signing the International Student Application Form.
- The terms and conditions set out in this International Student Refund Policy apply equally to commencing and continuing students unless otherwise specified.
- Applications for refunds for international students must be authorised by the CEO of Kangan Institute or his or her nominee.
- Kangan Institute reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time.
- Where fees are paid by a party on behalf of the student, Kangan Institute reserves the right to notify that party.
- Kangan Institute is obliged to inform the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) of any change of status where a student completes his or her course early, transfers to another provider, is excluded on academic grounds and fails to meet his or her visa conditions, defers or intermits his or her study or otherwise changes the expected completion date of his or her study.
- The funds covering the tuition fees must be clear at the time that the refund request is made by the student and all debts to Kangan Institute must be paid before any refund can be made.
- The refund must be paid to the same person or body from whom the payment was received on behalf of the student.
- Refund requests for full or partial refunds must be made in writing on the Refunds Application Form, must set out the reasons for the request and be accompanied by supporting documentation as appropriate. The refund request must be forwarded to:
Kangan Institute International
Private Bag 299
Somerton Victoria 3062
- The written Refunds Application Form must include the date of the claim, the student's full name, and the basis for making the claim, the address to which the refund is to be forwarded and the student's signature. Claims will not be processed where the signature on the claim does not match the student's signature as shown on other documents provided by the student for admission to Kangan Institute.
- This agreement, and the availability of complaints and appeals processes, does not remove the right of the student to take action under Australia's consumer protection laws.
- Tuition fees will be refunded in full where:
- the course does not start on the agreed starting date which is notified in the Letter of Offer;
- the course stops being provided after it starts and before it is completed;
- the course is not provided fully to the student because Kangan Institute has a sanction imposed by a government regulator; or
- an offer of a place is withdrawn by Kangan Institute and no incorrect or incomplete information has been provided by the student.
- Kangan Institute may arrange for another course, or part of a course, to be provided to the student at no additional cost to the student as an alternative to refunding the course money. Where the student agrees to this arrangement, Kangan Institute will not be liable to refund the money owed for the original enrolment.
A full refund will be provided to the student additionally where:
- a student is unable to obtain a student visa;
- illness or disability prevents a student from taking up the course;
- the student has been excluded from Kangan Institute for failure to meet progression rules and where fees were paid in advance of notification of that exclusion;
- where there is death of a close family member of the student (parent, sibling, spouse or child); or
- when other special or extenuating circumstances, including political, civil or natural events, are accepted at the discretion of the CEO of Kangan Institute, or his or her nominee, as preventing a student from taking up the course.
Partial refunds of the amounts specified below will be provided in the following circumstances:
- where Kangan Institute withdraws an offer based on incorrect or incomplete information supplied by the student, all fees paid for the teaching period are refundable less a 10% administrative fee and any agent's or processing fees;
- where a student, after accepting an offer of a place, gives more than 4 weeks written notice before the commencement of a semester of his or her inability to undertake the course, the tuition fees paid for the semester are refundable less an administrative fee of 10% of the tuition fee for the semester as applicable and any agent's or processing fee;
- where a student gives written notice of his or her inability to undertake the course less than 4 weeks prior to the commencement of a semester, no refund of the tuition fees paid for that semester are refundable, except as determined at the discretion of the CEO of Kangan Institute, or his or her nominee.
- where a student has received a 'ELICOS / principal course' or 'foundation / principal course' packaged offer and the student, having paid the full fees in advance for both courses, gives written notice of his or her inability to undertake the principal course within 4 weeks prior to the commencement of the principal course, any tuition fees paid for that course are refundable less an administrative fee of 10% and any agent's or processing fee;
- where a student has paid his or her tuition fees for the full year in advance and written notification is received after the commencement of the first semester or term but more than 4 weeks before the commencement of the subsequent semester or term, all of the tuition fees paid for the subsequent semesters or terms are refundable less an administrative fee of 10% and any agent's or processing fee.
Refunds for Students who obtain Permanent Resident Visa Status
- Permanent resident status is recognised from the date that the permanent resident visa is formally notified to the student and not the date on which the application for the permanent visa was made.
- If a student obtains Australian permanent resident status before his or her enrolment in a course but after the date of the Letter of Offer for the course, the fee-paying overseas place will be withdrawn. If the student wishes to continue study at Kangan Institute he or she must apply for a local student place and will be subject to the same selection criteria applicable to these applicants and will be liable to pay the Tuition and Service and Amenity Fee for that course. If the student has already paid the tuition fees applying to international students for this semester, or any future semesters, a total refund of these fees is payable to the student.
- If a student obtains a permanent resident status after enrolling in a course, the student will be liable to pay the tuition fees applying to international students for that semester in which the permanent resident status was granted.
- A student who withdraws or defers from a course for whatever reason after the commencement of a semester or term shall not be eligible for a refund for that semester or term except for the reasons outlined above.
- A student whose visa is cancelled during a semester or term shall not be eligible for a refund.
Payment of Refunds
- In circumstances where a Kangan Institute course does not start on the agreed starting date, or in which Kangan Institute stops the course after it starts and before it is completed or where the course is not provided fully to the student because Kangan Institute has a sanction imposed by a government regulator, the refund of fees will be paid in full to the student within 2 weeks.
- In any other circumstance, Kangan Institute will refund the amount within 4 weeks after receiving the completed and signed Refunds Application Form together with appropriate supporting documentation.
- Refunds will be reimbursed in Australian dollars.
- Date of the notification for request for refund is the date the request for a refund is received at the International Office of Kangan Institute.
- In the event that a student wishes to contest the decision on a refund request, he or she would have access to Kangan Institute's existing dispute resolution procedures. These procedures would not circumscribe the student's right to pursue other legal remedies.