Resumes and Application Letters
A resume (also known as a CV or Curriculum Vitae) is a short document with your basic personal information and contact details, plus your education, your skills and record of your work experience. It is important to have an up-to-date resume as most employers will request one.
You can prepare your own using our Resume Tips section, and/or come along to one of our Resume Workshops for some help and advice. Current Kangan Institute students can access an online course called How to Create a Resume.
A resume is usually requested by employers when you apply for a job. It does not have to be a long or complicated document. When you are just starting out, or returning to work after a break, you may not have a lot of work experience to include, but everyone has personal skills they can list, including those they gained from life experience rather than from training. See samples of resumes below. Make sure you have:
- Listed all details correctly (i.e. your current personal and contact details, dates of employment). Be accurate. Employers will check.
- Listed all your qualifications and skills.
- Included all work experience, including unpaid and voluntary work
- Contacted your referees and checked their correct details and phone numbers. Also ask them if it is OK for you to list them as a person who can be telephoned by employers to give you a reference, and advise them you are looking for work now.
- Kept it to between one and four pages, depending on your age and experience.
- Produced a good looking resume! That means neat, with no spelling mistakes! Ask someone to check it for you.
Here are some sample resumes for some ideas.
If you don't have a current resume, come along to one of our Resume Workshops for some help and advice. The workshops are a free service and are held across five campuses. Bookings essential. Phone (03) 9279 2602 to make a booking.
How to Create a Resume Course
Current Kangan Institute students can access an online course called 'How to Create a Resume'. This will take you step-by-step through a simple process with information and resume templates you can save to your PC or disc. To access this easy and effective online tutorial, visit www.tafevc.com.au.
To access this course you need to obtain a login and password through Michelle Phelan. Contact Michelle by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning (03) 9094 3017. You need to be a current Kangan Institute and provide your student ID number.
All resumes should be accompanied by a covering letter, as this will be the first thing the employer reads. This information sheet will provide you with tips on how to write an effective application letter. It also includes sample letters.