International Arrival Support Services

Kangan Institute International



Airport Pick-up

If requested, international students are met on arrival at Melbourne Airport by a Kangan Institute representative and driver. From here, students are taken to their temporary accommodation.

  • If you require an airport pick-up, travel arrangements must be forwarded to Kangan Institute seven days prior to your arrival.
  • This is a free service* to an address within 10km of your campus and is available to international students enrolled in a course with a minimum duration of 10 weeks
  • A charge of AUD$80 will apply if you have requested airport pick-up and do not use the service
  • You will receive a confirmation email from us at least three days prior to your departure confirming the airport pick-up details. If you do not hear from us within three days prior to your departure date, please contact us at
  • This service cannot be guaranteed if the completed form is received less than seven days prior to arrival in Melbourne.

Airport Pickup Form

Register for Airport Pickup

Please do not submit this form unless your flight arrangements and accommodation are confirmed. Unconfirmed details on applications will not be processed.


International students have a number of accommodation options. Kangan Institute provides a free placement service to assist students in locating suitable accommodation. This excludes some homestay placements where students pay an AUD$280 placement fee. This fee is payable to a homestay agency (not Kangan Institute) and is subject to change.

Temporary student hostel accommodation is AUD$80 per night. Alternatively, students can be placed in a homestay for a minimum of two weeks. The cost of homestay is AUD$295 to AUD$400 per week.

Kangan Institute does not guarantee to find suitable accommodation for all international students but provides assistance with searching for accommodation where required.

Please contact for more details about temporary homestays. Prices are current as at September 2018 and are subject to change.


Homestays offer accommodation in a private home with a host family. Students are provided with a furnished bedroom with study space. The host provides meals, but the student must pay for their own travel, telephone calls, entertainment and personal needs.

The approximate weekly cost is AUD$295 to AUD$400 per week. This is payable two weeks in advance to the host family.

Rented Rooms

International students can rent a room in a private house which can be either furnished or unfurnished. Meals are not normally provided, but students have access to the kitchen to prepare their own meals. Rent varies from AUD$130 to AUD$200 per week and may or may not include gas, electricity and water costs.

Private Rental

A popular option for students is to share an apartment or house which is normally rented through a real estate agent. Rental costs do vary dependant on type of property, number of bedrooms and location. Rent varies from AUD$200 to AUD$500 per week depending on the location and number of rooms.

A month's rent in advance and a bond equivalent of up to six weeks rent is required when renting a property. To rent a property from a real estate agent, you must fill out their rental application form. They may require a reference letter as well as financial and identification proof.

The majority of rental properties are unfurnished. Approximately AUD$2,000 to AUD$4,000 will be required for the above needs, household goods, gas, electricity and telephone connection.

For further information on renting a property please refer to

Permanent accommodation usually takes three to four weeks to arrange, depending on the type of accommodation required. Permanent accommodation cannot be arranged prior to arriving in Australia.

These costs are indicative only and are correct as at May 2018 and subject to change.

Health Insurance

All international students are required by the Australian Government to take out health insurance.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provides international students with free public hospital care for non-elective treatment and an 85 percent rebate on standard doctor's fees.

For further information please visit and

Protection for Overseas Students

Overseas students on a student visa must be studying a course with an education provider that are both found on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Providers and courses can be found at

CRICOS registration guarantees that both the course and education provider you study with meet the high standards necessary for overseas students.

Please check carefully that the details of your course, including its location match the information on CRICOS.