To exercise powers and rights as an HSR effectively, it is essential that HSRs (and Deputy HSRs) receive training. This WorkSafe approved training course aims to provide HSRs with the skills, knowledge and confidence to represent their designated work group and to help make their workplace safer.
The Learning Outcomes of the course are:
* Interpreting the occupational health and safety legislation framework and its relationship to the HSR
* Identifying key parties and their legislative obligations and duties
* Establishing representation in the workplace
* Participating in consultation and issue resolution
* Represent designated work group members in any OHS risk management process undertaken by the appropriate duty holder/s
* Issuing a Provisional Improvement Notice (PIN) and directing the cessation of work
Under the OHS Act 2004 (section 67) all elected HSRs and deputy HSRs are entitled to undertake WorkSafe Victoria approved OHS training for HSRs and choose their training course in consultation with their employer. Kangan Institute is approved to deliver the HSR Initial OHS Training Course.
This course is designed for new Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) and their deputies.
What you receive at the completion of the course?
Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance upon completion of all five days.
Pre-requisite & eligibility requirements
Participants must attend all 5 days of training in order to receive a Certificate of Attendance.
Kangan Institute's main campus is located approximately 20km from the CBD. Broadmeadows houses purpose-built specialist training facilities such as the Aviation Industry Training Centre, the Transport and Logistics Centre and the Polymer Engineering Centre. It also houses the Gunung-Willam-Balluk Learning Centre for Indigenous students, as well as our fully licensed, hospitality training facility, Richards Restaurant.
The campus is a five-minute walk from the Broadmeadows Town Hall, and is directly opposite Broadmeadows Shopping Centre. Parking available on campus.