**Applications close on Thursday 31st December 2020 **
International Student Emergency Relief Fund
Applications are now open for the Victorian Government’s $45 million International Student Emergency Relief Fund for international students facing financial hardship as the result of job and income losses since March 2020.
Through the International Student Emergency Relief Fund and Study Melbourne, the Victorian Government is supporting international students who have been impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19) and are most in need of financial support during this challenging time.
Bendigo Kangan Institute has been appointed by the Victorian Government to administer the processes for you to apply for this once-only support payment of $1,100. We have established a dedicated team of student support officers to receive and assess the applications to determine eligibility for this financial assistance and disperse the funds.
This relief fund is for applicants who have been engaged in legal work.
What is legal work?
Your employer may choose to pay you using cash, cheque, money or postal order, or through electronic funds transfer into your bank account.
It is acceptable for your employer to pay you in cash as long as tax has been taken from your earnings and sent to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). Generally, you should also be receiving superannuation. You should check your pay slip each time you are paid to make sure this is being done.
‘Cash in hand’ is a term used to describe cash payments where tax has not been taken out – this is against the law.
- 1. Be an international student and were enrolled at 31 March 2020.
- 2. Be an international student who has a student visa or bridging visa (with a student visa application in processing).
- 3. Be an international student who currently resides in Victoria, Australia and is presently physically located in Victoria.
- 4. Have been engaged in legal work in Victoria any time from March to July 2020, and have experienced exceptional circumstances of financial hardship due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and those circumstances of hardship arise from:
- a) significant reduction in hours of employment OR
- b) loss of employment due to a business shutdown; AND
- you are unable to supplement lost income from other sources of financial support,
- 5. Any other eligibility criteria applied by the Recipient
Some of the supporting documents may include but not limited to:
- passport copy
- correspondence between your employer (email, text message, letters)
- bank statements, transaction records
- Tax File Number
- Remittance advice
- Full bank transactions records
- Employer ABN
How to Apply
If you meet the eligibility criteria outlined, we encourage you to apply for this support as soon as possible. You may have already registered with Study Melbourne, however, you do need to complete the Application Form to be assessed for eligibility to receive the International Student Emergency Relief Fund.
If you have any queries about your eligibility for this funding or advice on other support that may be available to you, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our teams are on standby to assist you by phone at 9279 2631 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
At Kangan Institute, we want to make sure you are able to fully concentrate on your studies without having to worry about financial hardship.
As such, we provide a Student Welfare Officer that helps to advise you on the financial issues associated with studying.
Make an appointment for:
- information on fees and fee concessions
- Centrelink assistance
- financial budgeting and saving skills
- information and assistance regarding scholarships available through Kangan Institute
The Student Welfare Officers are available across all campuses. To make an appointment call 13 TAFE (13 8233) or email email@example.com.