Call us on 13

Fees and Policies

What Will it Cost to Enrol?

In 2017, you are required to pay a tuition fee and a student services fee. Materials and consumable fees may also be required for some courses. Your enrolment is not valid until all these fees have been paid.

Tuition Fees

Tuition fees are calculated using an hourly rate multiplied by the course hours in any one year. The actual hourly rate varies for each course and is also dependent on whether you are eligible for a government subsidy on concession. Tuition fees are published on this website against the relevant course.

If you are an Indigenous student the relevant concession tuition fee applies - 20% of the standard fee for a student eligible for government-subsidised training under the Victorian Training Guarantee.

For concession card holders enrolling in a course that is not eligible for VET student loans (diploma, and advanced diploma), the relevant concession tuition fee applies - 20% of the standard fee for a student eligible for government-subsidised training under Skills First.

The student tuition fees as published are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment.

Non-Tuition Fees

Student Services Fee (SSF) 

All students are required to pay a compulsory fee that contributes to the cost of providing student support services, such services as counselling, welfare services, learning support, study support and activities and services provided by the Institute’s Student Support & Recreation.


The fee also supports the assessment of student's language, literacy & numeracy skills in support of a pre-training review and the Institute’s IT network capability and permits access to enhanced features such as the Flexible Learning Centre, the Library and Learning Centre, Student Results online and MyKangan.

For Diploma and Advanced Diploma students this fee is considered an incidental fee in addition to the Tuition Fee.

What will I pay annually?

Student Services Fee (Standard): $200 maximum charge in the calendar year - (or $100 for a one semester enrolment, there are no pro-rata rates for rolling enrolments)
Student Support Fee (Discounted): $80 maximum charge in the calendar year (or $40 for a one semester enrolment, three are no pro-rate rates for rolling enrolments).
Regardless of funding arrangement the Student Services Fee (Discounted) applies to the following students:

  • Workplace-based trainee or apprentice or
  • 100% Off Campus Students or
  • 100% Flexible Delivery Students

Materials Fees

  • Materials fees may be required by the student during the course of his or her study. Materials fees relate to goods or materials that become the property of the student and are retained by them in the event of withdrawal from the course.
  • These materials may be made available through the Institute bookshop or other commercial suppliers. Students have the right to purchase these goods from whichever source they choose. Refund and exchange policies applicable to these goods are determined by the relevant supplier.
  • In the case of VET FEE-HELP eligible courses (diplomas, advanced diplomas and certain certificate IV courses), printed course material is not an allowable material fee unless it is made available to the student to download free of charge and the student chooses to pay for a printed copy.

Consumable Fees

  • Items consumed during the course of study which may be expendable but are only provided/supplied at the point in the training where they are used or needed.


Eligibility for Government Subsidised Training

Generally, you are eligible for a government-subsidised training place if you are:

  • an Australian citizen; or
  • a holder of a permanent visa; or
  • a New Zealand citizen

and are any of the following:

- under 20 years of age
- seeking to enrol in a Foundation Skills List course (and do not hold a Diploma or above qualification or are receiving core skills training in other sectors)
- seeking to enrol in VCE or VCAL
- seeking to enrol in an apprenticeship
- 20 years and older and ‘upskilling’ by seeking to enrol in a course at a higher level than your existing qualification

If you are enrolled at a school, you will not be able to receive a government-subsidised training place for a course through Skills First, unless you are undertaking the course as part of a School-Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship. The Government supports schools in other ways to offer vocational training to their students, so you should discuss all your options with your school.

How many courses am I eligible for?

You are eligible to commence a maximum of two government-subsidised courses at the same qualification level in your lifetime. This restriction applies whether or not you complete the courses. For example, this means if you have already commenced two government-subsidised courses at the Certificate III level, you may only commence government-subsidised courses at the Certificate IV level (or above).

This restriction does not apply to courses on the Foundation Skills List or to students recommencing training in the same qualification (at the same or a different provider).

In addition, eligible students can begin up to two government-subsidised courses in a year as long as you are not doing any more than two government-subsidised courses at a time.

Kangan Institute Disability Support

Please click here to access our range of support for students with a disability.

Eligibility for Concession Fees

Government-subsidised students who are eligible for concessions will pay no more than 20% of the standard tuition fee per scheduled hour applicable to their course of study.

You are eligible for concessions in a government-subsidised if you are:

  • An Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander,
  • A non-indigenous student enrolling in Certificate I to IV who holds one of the following that is current and valid at the time of enrolment and prior to the commencement of training:

    • Commonwealth Health Care Card
    • Pensioner Concession Card
    • Veterans’ Gold Card

Students eligible for concession will pay no more than 20 percent of the standard tuition fee of a government-subsidised course in all course types except diplomas or advanced diplomas.

Australian Indigenous students are eligible to pay no more than 20 percent of the standard tuition fee of a government-subsidised course.

Please note: If your concession status changes and you enrol in another course the concession rates detailed above may no longer apply.

Additional fees may also be charged for materials, excursions and first aid training.

Full Fee

If you are not eligible for government-subsidised training you will pay the full fee listed on the respective course page. In addition you will need to pay the Student Services Fee of up to $200 and any applicable materials and consumables fees.

Payment of Fees

You can pay your fees by credit card over the phone or with cash, cheque, credit card or EFTPOS at a Customer Service Centre located at any of our campuses. If paying through the post, send your payment (please do not send cash) to Private Bag 299 Somerton VIC 3062. Cheques must be made payable to Bendigo Kangan Institute.

Help with Paying your Fees while you are Studying at Kangan Institute

1. Welfare Services

Assistance can be provided to students to help with budgeting, money management, financial counselling and referrals to external agencies. For information on how you can access this service, click here.

2. Scholarships

Kangan Institute offers a number of scholarships each year, which contribute towards course fees and materials fees across a range of study areas.You can find out more about scholarships by clicking here.


VET FEE-HELP allows students to study now and pay later. It's an income-contingent, interest-free Australian Government loan scheme that helps eligible students pay their tuition fees for diploma and advanced diploma level VET courses at approved training providers.

Important information for students considering a VET FEE-HELP Loan

The Commonwealth government has announced a re-design of the current VET FEE-HELP loan scheme from 1 January 2017.
The current VET FEE-HELP scheme will cease 31 December 2016. The new VET Student Loans program will replace the existing scheme from 1 January 2017.

VET Student Loans

This is a new student loans program that replaces the current VET FEE-HELP scheme, to give eligible students access to quality higher level VET qualifications, particularly those students who could not otherwise afford to pay upfront.
Course eligibility for VET Student Loans will be limited to courses that have a high national priority, meet industry needs, contribute to addressing skills shortages and lead to employment outcomes.

Student eligibility

There are specific criteria students must meet to be eligible for a loan through VET Student Loans.
Students must have been assessed as academically suited to undertake the eligible course and their FEE-HELP balance must be greater than zero. Furthermore, a student must be:

  • an Australian citizen; or
  • hold a permanent humanitarian visa and usually reside in Australia; or
  • be a qualifying New Zealand citizen. 

4. Fee Concession/Exemptions

Fee concession/exemptions may be granted to students experiencing severe financial hardship. You should talk to the Student Welfare Officer or a Student Counsellor before enrolment. Email for more details.

5. Payment Plans

Kangan Institute offers eligible students the option of paying their course fees over time with a payment plan. Payment plans apply to tuition, student services, materials and consumables fees.  If you use a payment plan you pay a $250 deposit which is deducted from your courses fees.  The remaining course fees and a 5.5% administration fee are paid by instalments over the length of the course you have enrolled in.  You can opt to make either weekly or fortnightly instalment payments. Click here for more information.

Fees in relation to Skills Recognition

Skills Recognition or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) means that skills, experience and knowledge you already have can be assessed for credit against a qualification. This can occur either before or after your enrolment.

A fee will apply for each application for Skills Recognition by students depending upon the selected course. Fees for skills recognition assessments are the same as the course tuition fees.  Please contact the Skills Recognition Centre for more information at

If you have already paid the tuition fee for the units being assessed for Skills Recognition, there is no further charge for a Skills Recognition application for those units or modules.

You can apply for Skills Recognition in whole units of competency or modules - not parts of units or modules.

Fee Refunds

  • 100 percent refund if the Institute cancels your course.
  • If you lodge a withdrawal/refund application within four weeks of the commencement of your course (for any other reason), you are entitled to the refund of your tuition fees, materials fees and Student Services fee (less an administration fee of $70). A refund will not be granted where training has been completed for a unit or module and a result entered.
  • You are not entitled to any refund if you withdraw later than four weeks after the commencement of your course (all courses excluding VET student loans eligible courses).
  • If you lodge a withdrawal/refund application from a VET student loans eligible course (diploma, advanced diploma or certain government-subsidised Certificate IV courses) unit of study on or before the published Census Date for that Unit, you will receive a 100 percent refund of the tuition fees (this also applies to diploma and advanced diploma  students who meet the citizenship requirements but who have been deemed not eligible for a government subsidised place).
  • If you lodge a withdrawal/refund application from a Skills Deepening (diploma or advanced diploma) course within four weeks of the commencement of your course, you are entitled to a refund of your materials, consumables and Student Services fees. (less an administrative fee of $70).

Further Assistance: Centrelink Allowances for Students

  • Youth Allowance/Austudy/Abstudy
  • The main income support schemes for students are Youth Allowance, Austudy and Abstudy. Application forms are available from any Centrelink office or phone 132 490.
  • Pensioner Education Supplement
  • If you receive a Parenting Payment Single (PPS) or the Disability Support Pension (DPS), you may also be eligible for extra assistance while you are studying. Application forms are available from Centrelink or telephone 132 316.

Zero Tuition Fee Training - Young People Transitioning from Care Initiative

Kangan Institute is part of the provider network for the Young People Transitioning from Care Initiative.

The Young People Transitioning from Care Initiative provides zero tuition fee training to eligible young people who are between 16 and under 22 years of age as at 1st January in the year of commencement of training AND subject to a Victorian Custody or Guardianship order or have been on a custody or guardianship order at the time of leaving out-of-home care. Students eligible for this initiative can enrol in nationally recognised training including VCE/VCAL, certificate I to IV, diploma or advanced diploma courses and/or units of accredited training offering a statement of attainment.

If you are under this initiative you must present a Young People Transitioning from Care referral form at enrolment. For more information click here.

Are There Any Other Possible Charges?

  • Copy of receipt/ confirmation sheet $5
  • Replacement student ID card $15
  • Replacement certificate (issued after 2000) $50
  • Replacement certificate (issued before 2000) $80
  • Archive search (prior to 2000) $50
  • Statement of results $10

Where Can I Obtain Further Information on Fees and Charges?

Contact the Customer Service Centre at any campus or call 13 TAFE (13 8233).