How to apply


Congratulations on choosing to study with Kangan Institute. Enrolling is easy! We have outlined each step so that you can check what needs to be done next, although the exact process will depend on your chosen course and any prerequisites that go with it. For more details call 13TAFE.



Choose from our courses online or visit our Skills and Jobs centre who work with you to identify the most appropriate course of study for you.



We offer a broad range of courses in Animal, Plants & SciencesAutomotiveBusiness, Accounting, and ManagementHair, Beauty and FashionHealth and CommunityHospitality, Culinary and BakingTeaching, English and Foundation Studies, and Trades and Industrial. Click on the Apply Now button on the course page and fill in the mandatory fields on the form or contact us on 13TAFE to get your application started. You will receive an email with a link to our enrolment forms.  Fill in more details about your personal circumstances and education history.  We use this information to assess whether the course is right for you and whether you can receive government subsidy for your course.

If you need support to help you with your application, contact us on13TAFE (138233).  We also have a video to help you to fill in the form.



Pre-assessment may involve undertaking a LLN (Language, Literacy & Numeracy) assessment and a PTR (Pre-Training Review). This is to ensure that your preferred course is suitable and appropriate for you as we want to make sure you get the best out of your studies.

LLN – Language, Literacy & Numeracy

You will need to provide evidence of your Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) skills.

We will accept any one of the following as your evidence:

  • Evidence of a Year 12 Certificate, Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) senior or equivalent completion that is issued by the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) or equivalent in other states or territories. We do not accept certificates issued by schools or colleges.
  • Certificate IV or above qualification (where the language of instruction is English)

 (You will be required to provide a copy of your evidence which will be retained with your records).

If you don’t have any of these, you may need to complete the LLN assessment. You will be sent a link and instructions on how to access the LLN assessment. Each Initial English and Maths assessment take around 45 minutes therefore please allow roughly an hour and half to undertake the assessment.

Please note: Some courses have literacy and numeracy requirements as part of their admission requirements. You may be required to complete the LLN assessment even if you have completed Year 12 or a Certificate IV or higher qualification. Some courses require an attendance on campus to complete your LLN test. 

Pre-Training Review (PTR)

All TAFEs and Registered Training Organisations are required to conduct a Pre-Training Review before you enrol to determine the most suitable and appropriate course for you based on several factors including your age, previous education, capabilities, aspirations and literacy and numeracy skills. A PTR also assesses your digital capability and any potential barriers to learning which we can help you with.

Some courses have additional requirements that may include an interview, a written task, or a presentation of a portfolio to assess your eligibility. Further information about the interview or a presentation of a portfolio will be provided when you apply. 


USI (Unique Student Identifier)

All students are required to provide a Unique Student Identifier.  If you don’t have one, vVisit to create, find or reset your USI details. Our staff can support you with this when you enrol if needed.

Access to Skills First (Government) Funding for eligible students

If you are seeking Skills First (Government) funding for your course, you will need to provide one of the following original documents (or certified copy) to show your eligibility for government subsidised funding.  These include:

  • Current Green Medicare Card
  • Australian or New Zealand Birth Certificate (not an extract)
  • Australian or New Zealand Citizenship Certificate
  • Australian Certificate of Registration by Descent
  • Current Australian or New Zealand Passport
  • Formal documentation issued by the Department of Home Affairs confirming permanent residence AND your foreign passport or ImmiCard
  • Confirmation obtained from the Visa Entitlement Verification Online System (VEVO) or Immi Card or Foreign passport that the student holds a valid:
    • Bridging Visa Class E or
    • Safe Haven Enterprise Visa, or
    • Temporary Protection Visa. Confirmation obtained from the Visa Entitlement Verification Online System (VEVO) that the student holds a valid Bridging visa class E, Safe Haven Enterprise visa, Temporary Protection visa, Bridging visa class F, or Humanitarian Stay (Temporary) (subclass449) visa.
    • A referral from the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre or the Australian Red Cross

Proof of age

Proof of age must also be provided (if date-of-birth is not already included in the citizenship evidence) for students 20 or under on 1 January of the year you enrol. 

One of the following Proof of Age documents will be required

  • Current Learner’s / Driver’s licence
  • ‘Keypass’ Card or
  • Proof of Age Card.


Additional requirements for students under 18 years old

If you are aged under 18, your parent or guardian will need to sign a Student Privacy Notice. We will advise you when this is required and will provide you with a copy of the notice.

If you decide on a payment plan, your parent or guardian will need to sign the payment plan agreement.

If you will be under 17 years old when you start your course and have either left school or are transitioning from school, you will need a written exemption from school attendance.

Fee Concession

You may be eligible for a concession on your tuition fees if you have a current valid concession card.  Examples of concession cards we accept:

  • Health Care Card issued by the Commonwealth
  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Veteran’s Gold Card

Please note: Indigenous students can access a concession rate on tuition fees at all qualification levels.

Concessions are available to non-indigenous students for qualifications at Certificate IV or below only.

VET Student Loans (VSL)

If you are enrolling into a VET Student Loan eligible course and want to access a VSL, you will need to provide an original document (or certified copy) of one of the below documents to demonstrate Australian citizenship:

  • Current Australian Passport
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate
  • Australian Citizenship by Descent extract
  • Australian Birth Certificate where you were born before 20 August, 1986
  • If you were born on or after 20 August 1986, Australian Birth Certificate and proof of your parents’ Australian Citizenship at the time of your birth.

Examples include:

  • Your parents’ Australian Birth Certificates
  • Your parents’ Australian Citizenship Certificates.


Before we can finalise your enrolment, you will need to:

  • Accept your offer to enrol
  • Sign an enrolment form, an eligibility declaration form and PTR form which will be sent to you electronically via DocuSign.
  • Provide all the documents as listed on this page.

At this stage you will have met all the requirements and are ready to finalise your enrolment.

To guarantee your place in your chosen course, you must arrange payment of your fees either by:

  • Making upfront payment - we accept EFTPOS, cheque, cash, or credit card or bank transfer.
  • Set up a payment plan 
  • Provide an Authority to Invoice (ATI) where your employer or an employment agency is paying for your fees. A signed ATI must be provided at the time of enrolment.

When you are ready to pay, call 13 TAFE (13 8233) and the enrolment officer will provide more details.  Please note that cash payments can only be made at the campuses.

You may be eligible for a scholarship and to find out more, visit: Kangan Institute's Scholarship and Grant Programs

Call 13 TAFE (13 8233) if you require assistance at any stage of the enrolment process and an enrolment officer will be happy to help you.