International Student Orientation
Congratulations on joining Kangan Institute!
We are excited to welcome you, and as part of your new journey we invite you to attend Student Orientation. A comprehensive orientation program is delivered to international students one week prior to the beginning of the semester.
Attendance at the program is compulsory for all international students commencing their formal course at Kangan Institute. The program covers many aspects of living and studying in Australia.
Why attend Orientation?
- Enrol into your course
- Collect your welcome pack
- Meet other new international students
- Learn about Kangan Institute and what to expect as an international student living in a new city.
- Participate in Orientation activities and enjoy a free lunch
Sessions at orientation include:
- Introduction to life as an International student studying in Melbourne.
- Student visa requirements and compliance
- Student Support services available at Kangan Institute
- Safety (including fire safety, personal safety, policing and water safety)
- Kangan Institute student life
- Get to know Melbourne orientation activities
What you need to bring with you to Orientation:
- Your passport
- Your USI (Unique Student Identifier)
What is a USI and how to create one
A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a reference number made up of numbers and letters, unique to each student. A USI is required by the Australian Government and must be obtained by all students studying in Australia.
To create a USI click here and follow the steps outlined below,
- Step 1 – Have your passport on hand.
- Step 2 – Agree to the ‘terms and conditions’ and click next.
- Step 3 – Click ‘Create USI’.
- Step 4 – When asked ‘Are you applying for a USI on behalf of another person?’ select ‘no’ and then click ‘next’.
- Step 5 – Fill in all information required under ‘Evidence of Identity’ and ‘Personal Details’ and then click next.
- Step 6 - Fill in all information required under ‘Contact Details’ and then click next.
- Step 7 – Confirm your identity by checking the information provided. If all is correct, click ‘next’.
- Step 8 – Secure your account by setting up a password and check questions.
You have now completed setting up your USI reference.
You must make a note of your USI and include these when completing your RSVP to International Orientation.
What to wear
Students should wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes as there will be orientation activities that involve walking.
You will receive a registraion to attend orientation closer to the day.
If you have any questions about your enrolment or orientation, please contact your International Student Liaison Officer:
Phone: 0481 930 931