Frequently Asked Questions

What is TAFE?

TAFE stands for Technical and Further Education. It is a national system of vocational educational and training at a post-secondary level. TAFE institutes are the largest providers of post-secondary education in Australia.

Can TAFE qualifications become part of other courses/degrees?

If you have already completed all or part of a nationally recognised course at another TAFE institute (or other Registered Training Organisation) and have a certificate or statement of attainment which includes the Nationally Recognised Training logo, then Kangan Institute will recognise this previous study.

You may also be eligible for credits or exemptions in other TAFE or university courses, reducing the time required to complete the second course. For example, a two year diploma may give up to 18 months' credit towards a related three year degree. This saves you 18 months on the time of the degree (and half the HECS debt!).

Will my previous experience or study count?

The TAFE process of Skills Recognition means you may get credit for skills and knowledge you've gained through work, training or life experience. This could shorten your course and lower your costs.

How much will the course cost?

What will it cost to enrol?

You are required to pay a tuition contribution, a student services and amenities fee and an ancillary fee. Material fees may also be required for some courses. Your enrolment is not valid until all of these fees have been paid. For more information on our current fees, visit our Fees page.

Can I get financial assistance?

Students experiencing difficulties with paying course fees and/or with purchasing course books or materials can apply for assistance.

Our Student Welfare Officer is available to discuss any financial difficulties you may be having that may affect your ability to enrol in or successfully complete a course. Please phone 13 TAFE (13 8233) for more information.

Full-time students may qualify for Youth Allowance or Austudy income support from Centrelink.

For further information visit Centrelink online, or phone 132 490.

Can I get help if I'm having trouble with the course?

If you are having any trouble with your course, contact your class teacher or course coordinator in the first instance. If you are still having difficulty, our educational/personal counsellors or disability liaison officers may be of assistance. Phone 13 TAFE (13 8233) for an appointment to discuss your concerns. The services are free and confidential.

Can I get help in finding employment?

Yes, Kangan Institute has an in-house employment centre that can help you find work. The Employment Centre at Kangan Institute is an established employment services provider which assists Kangan Institute students and jobseekers in general. The Employment Centre is also a comprehensive recruitment service for external companies and organisations. It advertises job vacancies, apprenticeships, and traineeships on a national data base. Jobseekers using the service are considered for these positions, as well as having access to interview coaching and job search assistance including regular workshops on preparing resumes and job applications.

What is Flexible Delivery?

Many Kangan Institute courses are available through flexible delivery. Flexible delivery means that you can choose the time, place and speed at which you study, according to your lifestyle and learning needs.

You may choose to study with a group of students in a classroom with a teacher, or use printed or electronic resources (i.e. online resources) to study in one of our Flexible Learning Centres, or off-campus, perhaps from home or your place of work. You could choose to study on a part-time or full-time basis. You may decide to 'fast track' your course or spread it out over a longer time frame.

To find out whether the course you are interested in is available through flexible delivery, phone the Customer Service Centre on 13 TAFE (13 8233)

What other services are available to help me?

Kangan Institute provides a range of support services for students undertaking government-subsidised courses. Support for students undertaking other courses, such as short courses or fee-for-service courses, will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Some students may be required to contribute to the costs of additional support including learning and disability support.

These services are:

  • Course Counselling
  • Personal Counselling
  • Study Skills Assistance
  • Flexible Learning Assistance
  • Accommodation Assistance
  • Advocacy
  • Welfare & financial support
  • Workshops
  • Language Support
  • Disability Support and
  • Student Support & Recreation
  • All these services are confidential.

    What other services are available to help me?

    Skills Recognition Centre

    Staff at the Skills Recognition Centre are available to help you with all aspects of the Skills Recognition process. We can help you:

    Decide whether you might be eligible for credit via Skills Recognition for any units in your course

    • Make your application
    • Gather evidence
    • Prepare for your interview with the trainer
    • Work out any problems.

    Click here for more information.

    Can anyone apply for courses?

    The Institute encourages applications from Australian and permanent residents irrespective of their gender, culture, age, location or whether they have a disability or disadvantage. Overseas students may apply for a limited number of courses. Some courses have particular education requirements, or are specially designed for particular groups of students, such as Indigenous students, or young people 15 -19 years, or overseas students, for example, and this is noted in the course information.

    Not sure what to apply for?

    Course counselling can help you decide on appropriate courses and educational pathways to reach your goals.

    Course counselling is available to prospective and current students, and for 12 months after completion of your course at Kangan Institute.

    Phone 13 TAFE (13 8233) to arrange a counselling session.

    Checklist for choosing a Course

    Have I:

    • Contacted the Customer Service Centre (phone 13 TAFE (13 8233)?
    • Spoken with a Course Counsellor, if necessary (phone 13 TAFE (13 8233))?
    • Read the course brochure?
    • Contacted the Skills Recognition Centre?
    • Collected additional information on my chosen course to make sure it is right for me?
    • The necessary study or work experience to apply for my chosen course?
    • The type of personal requirements for people who work in this area?
    • Decided how and where I will study?
    • Checked the application closing date for the course?
    • Fully completed the application form and attached any necessary documents?
    • Submitted my application form by the due date?
    • Made contact with services that could support me in my study?