The New Business Assistance with NEIS (New Enterprise Incentive Scheme) is an Australian Commonwealth Government program to help people not in employment, education or training into self-employment.
The NEIS program has been operating for over 31 years and Kangan Institute has been a NEIS provider for more than 27 years. It provides personalised support to help individuals become self-employed business owners.
- Free accredited small business training
- Personalised mentoring and business management guidance
- An allowance for up to 39 weeks and Rental Assistance for up to 26 weeks (if eligible)
All small business training and mentor support is fully subsidised with no associated cost to the participant
You can participate in New Business Assistance if you:
- Are at least 18 years of age when starting your new business
- Are not prohibited by law from working in Australia
- Are not an overseas visitor on a working holiday or an overseas student studying in Australia
- Are available to participate in NEIS training (if relevant) and work the required hours in your proposed new Business
- Have not participated in NEIS in the past year
- Are not an undischarged bankrupt.
What business ideas can receive assistance?
BEC @ Kangan will assess your business idea to ensure it meets the business eligibility criteria.
This means your proposed business:
- Is either not currently operating on a commercial basis or is an existing micro-business owner/sole trader seeking to refocus their business in response to COVID-19
- Has an independent business structure
- Is lawful and capable of withstanding public scrutiny
- Has been assessed as commercially viable by your NEIS provider
- Will be established, located and operated solely within Australia
- Is structured so you have and maintain a controlling interest over the NEIS business while participating in New Business Assistance with NEIS.
Small Business Management Training
New Business Assistance with NEIS participants are able to complete the Certificate III in Micro Business Operations. This is a nationally accredited competency based course which will be assessed through assignments. Practical ideas can be gained from the trainers and other participants who often have previous business experience. The course lasts a maximum of seven weeks.
During the training, you will develop a Business Plan which will need to be assessed and approved.
Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, course delivery has adapted to encompass a combination of remote and flexible delivery methods. Our flexible model allows you to continue to study in a safe, guided and fully supported manner with continued access to all learning, personal and wellbeing supports.
You will be advised by your facilitator on a case by case basis in relation to practical and work placement assessments, as some flexibility will be required during this challenging time
Business mentoring and support
Mentoring and support is an essential part of NEIS. Participants receive business mentoring during the first year of operating their new business.
Mentors are people with business experience who provide assistance and advice about organisational, financial and marketing issues to help you develop your business
If you receive a Services Australia or Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) income support payment, you may be eligible to receive NEIS Allowance for up to the first 39 weeks of business operation. This is subject to you meeting the obligations under your NEIS Participant Agreement.
The NEIS Allowance is equivalent to the single, 22 or over, no children rate of JobSeeker payment. It is paid fortnightly in arrears. NEIS Allowance is designed to ensure your rate of payment is not affected by the earnings you make through your NEIS Business.
Your new business must be your primary activity. You can receive income from outside your new business (such as from investments or other work). If your external income is greater than twice the basic rate of NEIS Allowance in a given financial quarter, it may affect the amount of your NEIS Allowance.
NEIS Rental Assistance
You may also be eligible to receive NEIS Rental Assistance. This is a fixed rate payment for a period of 26 weeks from the date you first receive NEIS Assistance.
To be eligible for NEIS Rental Assistance you must have been receiving Services Australia or Department of Veterans Affairs rental assistance before you start receiving NEIS Allowance.