Frequently Asked Questions

What is TAFE?

TAFE stands for Technical and Further Education. It is a national system of vocational educational and training at a post-secondary level. TAFE institutes are the largest providers of post-secondary education in Australia.

Can TAFE qualifications become part of other courses/degrees?

If you have already completed all or part of a nationally recognised course at another TAFE institute (or other Registered Training Organisation) and have a certificate or statement of attainment which includes the Nationally Recognised Training logo, then Kangan Institute will recognise this previous study.

You may also be eligible for credits or exemptions in other TAFE or university courses, reducing the time required to complete the second course. For example, a two year diploma may give up to 18 months' credit towards a related three year degree. This saves you 18 months on the time of the degree (and half the HECS debt!).

Will my previous experience or study count?

The TAFE process of Skills Recognition means you may get credit for skills and knowledge you've gained through work, training or life experience. This could shorten your course and lower your costs.

How much will the course cost?

You are required to pay a tuition contribution, a student services and amenities fee and an ancillary fee. Material fees may also be required for some courses. Your enrolment is not valid until all of these fees have been paid. See the Fees and Charges Brochure here. For more information on our current fees, go to our Fees page.

Can I get financial assistance?

Students experiencing difficulties with paying course fees and/or with purchasing course books or materials can apply for assistance.

Our Student Welfare Officer is available to discuss any financial difficulties you may be having that may affect your ability to enrol in or successfully complete a course. Please phone (03) 9279 2494 for more information.

Full-time students may qualify for Youth Allowance or Austudy income support from Centrelink.

For further information visit or phone 132 490.

Can I get help if I'm having trouble with the course?

If you are having any trouble with your course, contact your class teacher or course coordinator in the first instance. If you are still having difficulty, our educational/personal counsellors or disability liaison officers may be of assistance. Phone (03) 9279 2511 for an appointment to discuss your concerns. The services are free and confidential.

Can I get help in finding employment?

Yes, Kangan Institute has an in-house employment centre that can help you find work. The Employment Centre at Kangan Institute is an established employment services provider which assists Kangan Institute students and jobseekers in general. The Employment Centre is also a comprehensive recruitment service for external companies and organisations. It advertises job vacancies, apprenticeships, and traineeships on a national data base. Jobseekers using the service are considered for these positions, as well as having access to interview coaching and job search assistance including regular workshops on preparing resumes and job applications.