This course is made up of two sections:
- Licensed Vehicle Tester Vehicle Administration
- Licensed Vehicle Tester Heavy Vehicle Technical Inspection
The first section of the course being the Licensed Vehicle Tester Vehicle Administration component covers all the liabilities and responsibilities associated with being a Licensed Vehicle Tester or Signatory and will cover how to correctly complete all of the documentation relevant to the position of Licensed Vehicle Tester or Signatory. The course also includes the completing of the relevant forms.
The second section of the course being the Licensed Vehicle Tester Heavy Vehicle Technical Inspection component covers the National Heavy Vehicle Inspection Manual (NHVIM) and the aim of the manual is to provide a consistent test/fail guideline for Heavy Vehicle Inspections that are in line with National Transport Reform.
VicRoads Licensed Vehicle Tester Heavy Vehicle examiners will use the NHVIM to inspect and test a vehicle using the HV Examiner manual with the current equipment required under Licensed Vehicle Tester Licence conditions.
Assessment will include the use of a computer to access various websites, uploading photographic evidence of testing, accessing various regulations and bulletins, government regulations and administration, and filling out roadworthy certificates. You will also be required to complete a Heavy Vehicle technical inspection, and demonstrate the use of equipment used to complete a roadworthy inspection. Assessment will be carried out throughout the course, and at the end of the technical inspection sections. You will also be required to complete a complete roadworthy inspection on a Heavy Vehicle or Vehicles to VicRoads standards.
If you fail any part of the assessment throughout the course, you will be required to sit another assessment at a later date, and this assessment will incur a further cost.
Pre-requisites / Eligibility requirements:
For new license applications you must follow the pre-approval process on the VicRoads website. Click here for more information. Mechanics who work for an existing Licenced Vehicle Tester, you must supply their LVT Registration Number.
Prior to being accepted to attend this course, you will be required to complete a online assessment in the following areas:
- Language, Literacy & Numeracy (LL&N)
- Mechanical Knowledge
You must also:
- be a qualified Heavy Vehicle motor mechanic at certificate level III or equivalent and /or have 7 years of trade experience.
- hold a current Australian Heavy Vehicle Driver's Licence
You will need to present your current Heavy Vehicle Driver's Licence and your motor mechanic qualification (the originals or a certified copy).
You are required to provide and wear safety clothing and footwear, such as long sleeve shirt and pants (preferably overalls) and full covered closed shoes (preferably work boots or shoes).
Personal protective equipment such as eye and hearing protection will be supplied; however you may bring your own.
Upon completion of this course you will:
- be aware of the liabilities and responsibilities involved in being a licensed vehicle tester
- be aware of the use of the National Heavy Vehicle Inspection Manual (NHVIM) and its guidelines
- be able to operate a computer and digital camera to comply with VicRoads record keeping requirements
- be able to access information and standards required when completing a roadworthy inspection
- be able to complete all documentation and access information required to test and examine a heavy vehicle (a vehicle or trailer over 4.5 tonnes GVM).
What you receive at the completion of the course:
An examiners accreditation card and a certificate will be issued to participants who successfully complete the course.