Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, we have adapted our course delivery to now encompass a combination of remote and flexible delivery methods. This includes easy to navigate online tutorials, video conferencing (classroom simulation) as well as face-to-face practical assessments and work placements – where safe and practical to implement. Therefore, you will require access to the internet and a computer to undertake this course.
Our flexible model allows you to continue to study in a safe, guided and fully supported manner with continued access to all learning, personal and wellbeing supports.
You will be advised by your facilitator on a case by case basis in relation to practical and work placement assessments, as some flexibility will be required during this challenging time.
Practical Placement is a mandatory component of this course. Kangan Institute will make efforts to secure an appropriate placement. Due to the current environment and circumstances outside our control, placements may be delayed. This may then impact the completion dates for this course and deferment of graduation.
If you want to make a genuine difference to the lives of people with a disability, then our Certificate IV in Disability course can set you on the right path.
With our nationally accredited qualification, you can develop your skills to assist people with a disability to achieve greater levels of independence and enjoy an increased quality of life. It’s a selfless career choice – and we want to support you in your chosen occupation as much as possible.
The course is delivered flexibly, suited to your particular needs. There is a work placement component of 120 hours embedded within the course. We design some assessments to be completed in your workplace or completed online and plan for your attendance at Kangan Institute to be as work friendly as possible. We can also organise work placement opportunities that are interesting, suit your needs and give you an insight into future careers paths.
Before you can start your practical placement, you will need to provide the following compulsory requirements:
• A valid Working with Children Check (Volunteer)
• A satisfactory National Police Check – National Police checks are conducted via fit2work. An account with fit2work will be created using the student’s name and the Kangan Institute issued student email address, once studies in the program have commenced. Further information will be provided once enrolment has been completed.
Here are just a few things that you will learn during this six month course:
- Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability
- Provide individualised support
- Develop and provide person-centred service responses
Rest assured, our teaching staff brings real life experience to the course to assist you to gain a realistic understanding of the disability field.
Once you’ve completed our qualification, you are able to consider any number of career choices, including working as a:
- Disability Support Worker
- Behavioural Support Officer
- Community Development Officer
- Day Support Disability Officer
- Disabilities Supervisor
- Disability Service Officer
- Disability Support Assistant (Schools)
- Disability Team Leader
- Job coordinator
- Lifestyle Support Officer
- Local area coordinator
- Marketing Coordinator (Disability)
- Project Officer
- Senior Disability Worker
- Senior Personal Care Assistant
- Social Educator (Disability)
- Social trainer
- Support Facilitator (Disability)
Our course experts will be more than happy to answer any questions you have about our disability courses.
Free TAFE and JobTrainer
You may be entitled to free tuition fees for this course if you meet the eligibility criteria for the State Government’s FREE TAFE for Priority Courses initiative. If you are aged 17-24 or looking for work, you may be eligible to study this course low-fee through JobTrainer. It's important to know that you may incur other fees, such as student services fees or materials fees, and you'll need to cover these costs yourself. To find out more, call 13 TAFE (13 8233) or contact us via our online enquiry form.